itom - an Open Source Measurement, Automation and Evaluation Software¶
itom is an open source software suite for operating measurement systems, laboratory automation and data evaluation.
One main application of itom is the development and operation of sensor and measurement system for instance in a laboratory environment. Therefore, the software has to be able to communicate with a wide range of different hardware systems, such as cameras or actuators and should provide a diversified and as complete as possible set of evaluation and data processing methods. Additionally, the rapid prototyping of modern measurement and inspection setups requires a system, where parameters or components can easily be changed at runtime, necessitating the availability of an embedded scripting language. Finally, when operating a measurement system, it is also desirable to extend the graphical user interface by system adapted dialogs and windows.
- 2016-08-04: The actuator plugins FirgelliLAC, ThorlabsBP and ThorlabsISM have been added to the plugin repository.
- 2016-06-20: itom can now also be compiled on the Raspberry Pi. This has been tested for the version 2 and 3 of the Raspi. Check the documentation under http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/02_installation/build_raspi.html how to compile itom on your Raspberry.
- 2016-03-17: A new site with FAQs, known bugs, workarounds... has been added to this website. Check this list for instance if the itom setup does not properly work.
- 2016-03-14: Today itom 2.1.0 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v2.1.0) are ready for download. It comes with a lot of bugfixes, improvements and new plugins, like VRMagic, MeasurementComputing, RawImport, Roughness, hidApi, UhlRegister and UhlText. For more information see the changelog at http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/00_releaseNotes/whats-new.html.
- 2016-03-04: The plugins UhlRegister and UhlText for communicating with actuators from company Uhl (and Lang) have been added to the plugin repository.
- 2016-02-24: The plugin hidApi for communicating with HID (human interface device) devices has been added to the plugin repository. This plugin can for instance be used to control DLPs from Texas Instruments.
- 2016-02-17: The plugin Roughness for a one dimensional roughness evaluation has been added to the plugin repository. A demo gui for the roughness evaluation has been added to the itom-packages/apps subdirectory of itom.
- 2016-02-17: The plugin RawImport for loading raw image formats from consumer cameras has been added to the plugin repository.
- 2016-01-19: The plugin MeasurementComputing for the control of AD-converters (e.g. USB-1208LS) has been added to the plugin repository.
- 2015-01-04: The plugin VRMagic for the control of cameras or framegrabbers from VRMagic (currently only monochrome cameras with 8, 10 or 16 bit are supported) has been added to the plugin repository.
- 2015-07-20: Today itom 2.0.0 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v2.0.0) are ready for download. It comes with a lot of bugfixes, improvements and new plugins, like Standa 8SMC4-USB, CommonVisionBlox, AvantesAvaSpec, PCOSensicam, LibUSB... For more information see the changelog at http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/00_releaseNotes/whats-new.html. The setup version is the first version that is released using Qt5 (Qt5.3) and comes with the current Python 3.4.
- 2015-06-17: The plugin Standa 8SMC4-USB for stepper motor controllers from stand has been added to the plugin repository.
- 2015-06-01: The plugin CommonVisionBlox to control cameras via CommonVisionBlox from company Stemmer has been added to the plugin repository.
- 2015-06-01: The plugin AvantesAvaSpec for spectrometers from company Avantes has been added to the plugin repository. It uses the plugin LibUSB to control the spectrometer and does not require the specific Avantes libraries.
- 2015-03-09: There is a known issue when trying to open the external Qt designer via the toolbox of itom. See the downloads section for a workaround.
- 2015-02-23: The plugin PCOSensicam for sensicam cameras from PCO Imaging is online now (no support for DICAM yet).
- 2015-02-17: Today itom 1.4.0 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v1.4.0) are ready for download. It comes with a lot of bugfixes, improvements and new plugins, like NI-DAQmx, SuperlumBS, PI_GCS2, libmodbus, NewportSMC100, AndorSDK3 and AVTVimba. For more information see the changelog at http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/00_releaseNotes/whats-new.html. The setup version is the last version that is compiled using Qt4.8. We will now officially start to migrate the setup system to Qt5.
- 2015-01-15: A cheatsheet about using itom with Python is available in the media section.
- 2014-12-09: The plugin SuperlumBS for broadsweepers from Superlum is online now.
- 2014-11-20: The sources for the plugins NewportSMC100 (Newport Stepper Motion Controller) and LibModBus (data transfer via ModBus - recently TCP only) are online. For more information see plugins.
- 2014-11-10: The sources for the plugins PI_GCS2 (Physik Instrumente General Command Set 2), AndorSDK3 (Andor cameras with SDK3 support) and AVTVimba (Allied Vision cameras, Vimba interface) are now online (https://bitbucket.org/itom/plugins)
- 2014-11-06: itom is used by many people around the world. The new page collaboration has been added to see who helped to improve itom, to fix bugs or to add plugins.
- 2014-10-08: Today itom 1.3.0 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v1.3.0) are ready for download. It comes with a lot of bugfixes, improvements and the new hardware plugins IDSuEye, ThorlabsCCS and GLDisplay. Additionally the 3D plot widget TwipOGLFigure has been added to the Windows installers, that is created by twip optical solutions GmbH. For more information see the changelog at http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/00_releaseNotes/whats-new.html
- 2014-09-30: The plugin IDSuEye for cameras of the uEye family of company IDS (driver 4.41) imaging is online now (https://bitbucket.org/itom/plugins)
- 2014-08-01: The plugin ThorlabsCCS for the thorlabs spectrometer (CCS - Compact Spectrometer) is online now (https://bitbucket.org/itom/plugins)
- 2014-05-27: Today itom 1.2.0 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v1.2.0) are ready for download. It consists now of all plugins that are released under an open source license. For more information see the changelog at http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/00_releaseNotes/whats-new.html
- 2014-04-09: An improved and more detailed version of the plugin documentation is now online, see plugins.
- 2014-04-05: The sources for the plugins V4L2 (Video for Linux), MSMediaFoundation (Windows Vista or higher), PCOCamera (cameras supported by the pco.sdk) and PCLTools (point cloud processing, filtering... using the PointCloudLibrary) are online.
- 2014-03-12: The plugin for support of x3p-file format is online (see plugins).
- 2014-02-25: From today on, itom can be build using Qt5. Get the current sources and have Qt5 ready on your computer (no Qt4). The right version of Qt is automatically selected.
- 2014-02-24: The cameras plugins Ximea and PGRFlyCapture are online (https://bitbucket.org/itom/plugins).
- 2014-01-27: Today, itom 1.1.0 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v1.1.0) are ready for download. It contains many bugfixes, better plot functionalities including geometric measurement tools in plots, more open-source plugins (all included in the setups now) and an online script reference as toolbox of itom that also informs about the documentation and parameterization of all loaded algorithm plugins.
- 2014-01-13: The plugins AerotechEnsemble (Ensemble controller of Aerotech axes) and BasicFilters are online (https://bitbucket.org/itom/plugins).
- 2013-12-22: Newest documentation documentation online (small changes with respect to v1.0.14).
- 2013-10-10: The plugins OpenCVFilters (wrapper for some OpenCV functions) and DispWindow (OpenGL based cosine and graycode fringe pattern display) are put online (https://bitbucket.org/itom/plugins).
- 2013-10-10: The new section about plugins has been added to this website.
- 2013-09-12: The introduction to itom and a poster, presented at the Fringe 2013 conference, is available in the media section.
- 2013-09-02: Today itom 1.0.14 has been released. The Windows setups and the sources (tag v1.0.14) are ready for download. It contains many bugfixes, an extended set of open-source plugins as well as renamed and improved designer plugins.
The sources of itom are separated into several repositories, hosted at bitbucket.org:
- Main access at https://bitbucket.org/itom
- itom core repository
- itom plugins
- itom designer plugins (plots...)
- MacroSim raytracer
These repository also contain more information in their corresponding wiki.
Information, Bug reports, Mailing Lists¶
Please register to the mailing list in order to obtain news about itom. You can also use this mailing list if you have questions or comments.
For specific bug reports or feature requests, please use the issue tracking system of bitbucket, depending on the specific repositories (itom, plugins, designer plugins...):
If you have individual questions about itom, plugins or if you miss support for your specific hardware device, please contact us using the indicated contact information below.
Licensing and Copyright¶
The core components and the main application of itom are covered by the GNU Library General Public Licence (GNU LGPL). All components belonging to the SDK of itom (e.g. dataObject, pointCloud, addInInterface,...) are additionally covered by an itom exception. The main idea of this exception is to allow other libraries (e.g. plugins) to include and link agains components of itom SDK independent on the specific license model of the respective “other” library. For more information see http://itom.bitbucket.org/latest/docs/01_introduction/introduction.html#licensing.
itom is a project provided by
Institut für Technische Optik
itom @ ito.uni-stuttgart.de